All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionHuman Placental Trophoblasts: Impact of Maternal Nutrition explores the vital roles of trophoblasts play in fetal growth and pregnancy, giving you new insight into the modulation of placental trophoblast functions by nutrients. It also reviews the role of fatty acids, folic acids, and specific vitamins in this aspect. The book highlights the critical role of nutrients on human placental development and its' in utero programming effects on the development of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, and obesity in later life. The book begins with discussions of the central process of placentation and its regulation on size and growth of the fetus. It also covers the effects of key macronutrients on placental growth, metabolism, transport, and secretory function. The text details important vitamins and few micronutrients and their roles in the feto-placental growth and development. It includes information on the influence of maternal lifestyle and environmental factors on regulation of the growth, metabolism and gene expression in the feto-placental unit. A review of the genes linked to the process of placentation rounds out the coverage. An examination of a broad range of evidence in the areas of placental growth, function, and its impact on feto-placental outcome, the book presents new kwledge on nutrition and its relevance with early human development. This includes t only the effects of maternal nutrients on possible neonatal growth and development but also their regulation by maternal lifestyle associated factors. A fine blending of epidemiology, clinical nutrition, perinatal and neonatal medicine, and biochemistry and molecular biology areas of research activities, the book helps you to understand the impact of maternal nutrition on placentation and its relevance with pregnancy outcome and fetal programming of adult health and disease.
- Author BiographyDr. Asim K. Duttaroy was educated in India and USA. Currently he is the Professor and group leader, Chronic disease, Dept. of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine at the University of Oslo, Norway. After his fellowship at the Thrombosis Research Centre, Temple University Medical School, he joined as an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Biochemistry at the Wright State University, and Senior Health Scientist at the VA Medical Centre, Dayton, Ohio. He then moved to the Rowett Research Institute of Aberdeen University, Scotland, UK as the Professor and the Principal Scientist. In 2001, he was appointed as Professor and Group leader at the University of Oslo, Norway. His research program focuses on the roles of dietary components on growth, development, as well as in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. He is investigating the mechanisms responsible for cellular growth, function and metabolism of dietary lipids in feto-placental unit. He holds several international patents. His discovery Fruitflow(TM) is scientifically-proven to inhibit platelet aggregation, a known cause of heart attack, stroke and venous thrombosis. It became the first product in Europe to obtain an approved positive health claim under the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) regulations. Prof. Duttaroy is a member of several International societies and editorial board of several international journals. Recently he was appointed as the Editor-In-Chief of Food & Nutrition Research journal. His scientific work has been published in over 175 original contributions, reviews , book, book chapters, and editorials. He has supervised 25 PhD/MD students so far. He has personal website http://www.asimduttaroy.com where his activities are regularly updated. Dr. Sanjay Basak is a Researcher. At present he is working as a Scientist at the Division of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Nutrition (ICMR), India. After receiving his PhD in Biochemistry, he joined as a Research Officer to this institute. Recently he completed his research training fellowship in Nutrition, Physiology and Molecular Biology from the Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Norway. His research is actively involved in molecular aspects of nutrition, trophoblast growth, development and placentation. He secured a competitive overseas research fellowship grant (BOYSCAST) from Govt. of India. He was a recipient of Henrik Homans Memorial Scholarship, Norway. Currently, he is associated as an Editorial Member of the peer-reviewed international journal Food and Nutrition Research , Co-action Publisher, Sweden. Till date, he has published 16 research articles, 2 review papers and one book chapter. Most of his work is available at https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Sxz3LsMAAAAJ&hl=en
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication09/12/2015
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note35 black & white illustrations
- Weight929 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byAsim K. Duttaroy,Sanjay Basak
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.