All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHumanistic psychotherapy is based on more than 70 years of psychological research, but there has been a surge of literature since the first edition of Humanistic Psychotherapies. This extensively updated volume highlights the flourishing evidence base for humanistic approaches, demonstrating that they are equal to or more effective than other therapeutic approaches. In fact, cornerstones of humanistic practice, such as therapist empathy and authentic emotional expression and experience, are essential to promoting positive client outcomes for n-humanistic practitioners as well. In addition to a general review of research, the contributors focus on specific approaches, including* person-centered therapy* gestalt therapy* focusing-oriented therapy* existential therapy* emotion-focused therapy* relationship enhancement therapy* child-centered play therapyAlso discussed are important therapist factors and client variables that contribute to effective psychotherapy. New findings are translated into practical guidelines for clinicians. Numerous case examples with vivid client-therapist dialogues illustrate how humanistic principles and approaches can be applied in actual practice - t just with individuals, but also with couples, families, and children. The final chapter synthesizes the entire volume with a proposed model for optimal humanistic psychotherapeutic practice, based on 20 simple premises drawn from the best evidence available.
- Author BiographyDavid J. Cain, PhD, ABPP, CGP, is the author of Person-Centered Psychotherapies (2010) and the therapist in the APA DVD Person-Centered Therapy Over Time (2010). He is the senior editor of Classics in the Person-Centered Approach (2002).A former colleague of Carl Rogers, he is the founder of the Association for the Development of the Person-Centered Approach and was the founder and editor of the Person-Centered Review. He is a Fellow in Clinical Psychology of the American Board of Professional Psychology.Dr. Cain is a former president of APA Division 32 (Society for Humanistic Psychology), initiated its annual conference, and is a recipient of its Carl Rogers Award. Kevin Keenan, PhD, received his MS and PhD in clinical psychology from the University of Kentucky, USA. He is a core faculty member of the Michigan School of Professional Psychology.Dr. Keenan is on the executive board of APA Division 32 (Society for Humanistic Psychology) and is a Fellow of the Michigan Psychological Association. He is an associate editor for the Journal of Humanistic Psychology and coeditor of Society for Humanistic Psychology's newsletter.Dr. Keenan has a private practice in Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA. Keenan has special interests in recovery, spirituality, life-span development, supervision, and relational depth psychotherapy. Shawn Rubin, PsyD, was trained by Clark Moustakas, PhD, and carries on the work of his mentor by presenting and training internationally on humanistic approaches to play therapy, parent guidance and support, the heuristic research method, clinical supervision, and the experiential teaching and training of graduate students across the helping professions. He is chair of the School of Clinical Psychology at Saybrook University and director of both the PhD and PsyD programs in clinical psychology. Dr. Rubin serves as editor in chief of the Journal of Humanistic Psychology and board member of APA Division 32 (Society for Humanistic Psychology).
- PublisherAmerican Psychological Association
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychological Association
- Weight1179 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byDavid J. Cain,Kevin M. Keenan,Shawn Rubin
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.