All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA concise, reader-friendly introduction to an important but often under appreciated topic in modern psychology, Humor 101 explains the role of comedy, jokes, and wit in the sciences and discusses why they are so important to understand. Psychology professor Dr. Mitch Earleywine draws from his personal experiences in stand-up comedy to focus on how humour can regulate emotion, reduce anxiety and defuse tense situations, expose pretensions, build personal relationships, and much more. He irreverently debunks the pseudoscience on the topic of humour and leaves readers t only funnier, but better informed.
- Author BiographyMitch Earleywine, PhD, is an associate professor of psychology at the University at Albany (SUNY). Prior to his current appointment, Dr. Earleywine was an assistant professor of psychology (1991-1997) and an associate professor of psychology (1997-2005) at the University of Southern California, where he won numerous teaching and mentoring awards. He was also the director of clinical training at USC from 1998-2000. He received his B.A. in psychology from Columbia University (1986), his PhD from Indiana University (1990), and his post-doctoral training at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (1991). He has published over 60 peer-reviewed journal articles and three books. Dr. Earleywine has given over 70 conference presentations and has been widely quoted in mainstream media outlets such as The Economist, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, and The Nation. Professor Earleywine performed stand-up comedy in Los Angeles while he was a professor at USC. He performed at The Comedy Store on Sunset Boulevard, The Ice House Comedy Club in Pasadena, the Long Beach Chuckle Hut, and took second place in the Ha Ha Comedy Club's talent competition in North Hollywood. His comedic skills in the classroom are well documented on www.Ratemyprofessor.com. He is developing this book for a course is will begin teaching in the Fall of 2010 entitled Talents: Humor and Creativity.
- Author(s)Mitch Earleywine
- PublisherSpringer Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/12/2010
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe Psych 101 Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer Publishing Co Inc
- Content Note10 illustrations
- Weight263 g
- Width129 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.