Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.71Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by agnesrarebooks
- Est. delivery by 5 Oct
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRubin Carter is the Hurricane. A pistol shot in a bar room ruined his chances of becoming the middleweight champion of the world. But he did t fire the gun. Nineteen long years in prison, a massively high profile campaign to release him that failed, and the persistence of an unlikely supporter finally saw him free. This is the story of a raging bull who learned to accommodate that rage. The Hurricane is an authentic C20th hero, every inch a fighter. Rubin Carter was a boxer on the threshold of the Middleweight Championship, with all the celebrity and wealth that would have conferred, when he was picked off the streets of Paterson, New Jersey by the police and accused of first degree murder in a bar room shooting. It was 1966, when America was gripped by racial rioting and burgeoning Black Power movements. Rubin faced an all-white jury. He was convicted. Liberal America adopted the campaign to release him in the 1970s - Candice Bergen, Mohammad Ali and Bob Dylan all protested for his release - but he remained in jail until 1985. Then, one man doggedly self-educated in the law finally achieved what years of high-profile lobbying had t: he freed Rubin Carter and righted one of the most significant cases of American injustice this century. Hurricane is a biography of modern America's great flaw: race relations. It is the story of a troublesome but gifted man, a paratrooper, a boxer, from the poorer side of the tracks, who was crudely and cruelly convicted of a crime he did t commit. Failed by the justice process, Rubin Carter proved himself a fighter all over again outside of the boxing ring, and a genuine hero in the process.
- Author BiographyJames Hirsch is a writer who has worked on the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
- Author(s)James S. Hirsch
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication02/11/2000
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Content Note(1 x 8pp b/w)
- Weight270 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,B-format paperback
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $133.26Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.