CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $63.56Trending at AU $65.54
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $31.91
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $86.11
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $47.65
- AU $22.67Trending at AU $25.34
- AU $10.22Trending at AU $10.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe story is based on the actual experiences of Moses, an eight year-old boy and resident of St. Helene s orphanage outside Port-au-Prince. As an infant, he was literally plucked from the waters of a nearby river, having been placed in a basket by whom we believe was his grandmother. The rest of his family perished in floods that wiped out their upland village in 2004. He was given his name by the nuns at St. Helene s. The title is Moses reply to the author when she asked where he is from. After the earthquake of 2010 destroyed Port-au-Prince and much of the surround- ing area, the orphanage was flooded with a new wave of parentless boys and girls. Moses helped these children adapt to their new lives and in so doing displays a fearless hope and determination that may lead to Haiti s renewal as a self-support- ing nation. St. Helene s orphanage is run by Father Rick Frechette kwn globally for his dedication to improving the lives of poor children across Latin America. Net profits from I Came From the Water will go to support St. Helene s and Father Rick s efforts to help rebuild Haiti by offering a safe place to live and a free education for children like Moses.
- Author BiographyVanita Oelschlager is a wife, mother, grandmother, philanthropist, former teacher, current caregiver, author and poet. She is a graduate of Mt. Union College in Alliance, Ohio, where she currently serves as a Trustee. Vanita is also Writer in Residence for the Literacy Program at The University of Akron. She and her husband Jim received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in 2006. She won the Congressional 'Angels in Adoption' Award for the state of Ohio in 2007 and was named National Volunteer of the Year by the MS society in 2008. She was honored as 2009 Woman Philanthropist of the Year by the Summit County United Way. In May 2011, Vanita received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from University of Mount Union. Prior to her publishing and writing career, Vanita taught school for 19 years and then helped her husband with his company, Oak Associates. Mother of two daughters, stepmother to a son and daughter, she is grandmother to seven. Mike Blanc is a life-long professional artist, illustrating countless publications for both corporate and public interests worldwide. Accomplished in traditional drawing and painting techniques, he now works almost exclusively in digital medium. His first book Francesca, was written by Vanita Oelschlager and published in 2008. Other titles include Postcards from a War, Porcupette Finds a Family, and Bonyo Bonyo, The True Story of a Brave Boy from Kenya with co-illustrator Kristin Blackwood.
- Author(s)Vanita Oelschlager
- PublisherVanita Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVanita Books
- Content Notecolour illustrations, maps
- Weight272 g
- Width217 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Mike Blanc
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Sewn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.