All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew people rode the popular wave of the sixties quite like Tara Browne. One of Swinging London's most popular faces, he lived fast, died young and was immortalized for ever in the opening lines of 'A Day in the Life', a song that many critics regard as The Beatles' finest. But who was John Lenn's lucky man who made the grade and then blew his mind out in a car? Author Paul Howard has pieced together the extraordinary story of a young Irishman who epitomized the spirit of the times: racing car driver, Vogue model, friend of The Rolling Stones, style icon, son of a peer, heir to a Guinness fortune and the man who turned Paul McCartney on to LSD. I Read the News Today, Oh Boy is the story of a child born into Ireland's dwindling aristocracy, who spent his early years in an ancient castle in County Mayo, and who arrived in London just as it was becoming the most exciting city on the planet. The Beatles and the Stones were about to conquer America, Carnaby Street was setting the style template for the world and rich and poor were rubbing shoulders in the West End in a new spirit of classlessness. Among young people, there was a growing sense that they could change the world. And one embodied the ephemeral promise of London's sixties better than Tara Browne. Includes a sixteen-page plate section of stunning colour photographs.
- Author BiographyPaul Howard is a multi-award-winning journalist, author, playwright and comedy writer. He is best known in his native Ireland as the creator of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, a fictional rugby jock and the star of a series of books that have sold well over one million copies in Ireland. He is a former Irish Sports Journalist of the Year, an Irish Newspaper Columnist of the Year and a three-times Irish Book Award winner. He has written for stage and for television. He is a Beatles nut and lives in County Wicklow with his wife, Mary.
- PrizesWinner of Irish Book Awards: The National Book Tokens Nonfiction Book of the Year 2016.
- Author(s)Paul Howard
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication20/10/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight672 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition StatementMain Market Ed.
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.