All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his brief life, Hank Williams created one of the defining bodies of American music. Songs like Your Cheatin' Heart, Hey Good Lookin' and Jambalaya sold millions of records and became the model for virtually all country music that followed. But by the time of his death at age twenty-nine, Williams had drunk and drugged and philandered his way through two messy marriages and out of his headline spot on the Grand Ole Opry. Even though he was country music's top seller, toward the end he was so famously unreliable that he was lucky to get a booking in a beer hall. After his death, Williams' records sold more than ever, and have continued to do so in the half-century since. His oft-covered catalog has produced hits for artists ranging from Fats Domi and John Fogerty's Blue Ridge Rangers to Ray Charles and B.J. Thomas; from Bob Dylan and jazz diva Norah Jones, to crooner Perry Como, R&B star Dinah Washington, and British punk band, The The. In this definitive account Colin Escott vividly details the singer's stunning rise and his spectacular decline, and reveals much that was previously unkwn or hidden about the life of this country music legend. Now, over sixty years after his death, a major motion picture starring Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen brings Hank Williams' tragic story to the screen. I Saw The Light first premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and will be distributed by Sony Picture Classics in the UK.
- Author BiographyBased in the Nashville area, Colin Escott is one of the world's leading experts on country music history. Among his many accomplishments, he co-wrote and co-produced Hank Williams' Honky Tonk Blues for PBS in 2004, and was a series consultant and co-writer for BBC-TV's highly acclaimed series on country music Lost Highway (2002). His music journalism has been published in two volumes, and he has worked with numerous music legends, including Willie Nelson, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash.
- Author(s)Colin Escott
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication19/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTwo Roads
- Content Note2 x 8pp b&w
- Weight356 g
- Width133 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Most relevant reviews
- scotch195316 May, 2016by
Can you advise is this the DVD or the Book?
Verified purchase: No
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.