Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.20Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.40Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1995, I Am Because We Are has been recognized as a major, can-defining anthology and adopted as a text in a wide variety of college and university courses. Bringing together writings by prominent black thinkers from Africa, the Caribbean, and North America, Fred Lee Hord and Jonathan Scott Lee made the case for a tradition of relational humanism distinct from the philosophical preoccupations of the West.Over the past twenty years, however, new scholarly research has uncovered other contributions to the discipline w generally kwn as Africana philosophy that were t included in the original volume. In this revised and expanded edition, Hord and Lee build on the strengths of the earlier anthology while enriching the selection of readings to bring the text into the twenty-first century. In a new introduction, the editors reflect on the key arguments of the book's central thesis, refining them in light of more recent philosophical discourse. This edition includes important new readings by Kwame Gyekye, Oyeronke Oy ewumi, Paget Henry, Sylvia Wynter, Toni Morrison, Charles Mills, and Tommy Curry, as well as extensive suggestions for further reading.
- Author BiographyFred Lee Hord (Mzee Lasana Okpara) is professor of English and director of Africana studies at Knox College, USA and author of several books, including Reconstructing Memory: Black Literary Criticism. Jonathan Scott Lee is professor of philosophy at Colorado College and author of Jacques Lacan, published by the University of Massachusetts Press, USA.
- PublisherUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2015
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight825 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byFred Lee Hord,Jonathan Scott Lee
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.