All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the last decade, the work of Greek-born artist Kalliopi Lemos exposed the wounding of human dignity. Most of her recent international projects addressed the hardships and mistreatments thousands of undocumented migrants are suffering in their effort to find somewhere to live. In her latest exhibition <i>I Am I Between Worlds and Between Shadows</i> showing September 2013 in Istanbul, Lemos focuses on women s experiences and the frequent abuse of their self-respect. The artist believes that human dignity is an inherent quality and an essential part of every human being, but unfortunately reality is very different as women still face, and still have to put up with, behavior that is insulting, wounding, oppressive and overpowering. The exhibition consists of an installation that features seven evocative sculptures that refer to the brutal violations directly or indirectly affecting all women and short videos that contain fragmented images from the female unconscious, enhancing the metaphorical origin of the works. Kalliopi Lemos exhibition transcends the deadening global saturation of images, and demonstrates the lasting power of the imagination to create resonant, visceral images, that speak directly to the heart of the viewer, and to the core of social malaise. She delves into a world of alchemy, myth and dream to conjure up figures that force us to engage with and re-evaluate our understanding of the world, of how it is represented to us, and of women s place within it.
- Author BiographyKalliopi Lemos is a Greek sculptor, painter and installation artist based in London. Lemos studied at the Byam Shaw School of Art and Central Saint Martins, where she pursued post-graduate studies.
- Author(s)Kalliopi Lemos
- PublisherBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Date of Publication23/09/2013
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Content Note80 illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width210 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.