All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a leading expert on n-conventional weapons and explosives, the author focuses on the bombs and explosives and shows how the IRA became the most adept and experienced insurgency group the world has ever seen through their bombing expertise and how - after generations of conflict - it all came to an end. The book is a comprehensive account of more than 150 years of Irish republican strategic, tactical, and operational details and analysis covering the IRA's mission, doctrine, targeting, and acquisition of weapons and explosives. Oppenheimer also colourfully presents the story behind the bombs; those who built and deployed them, those who had to deal with and dismantle them, and those who suffered or died from them. He analyses where, how, and why the IRA's bombs were built, targeted and deployed and explores what the IRA was hoping to accomplish in its unrivalled campaign of violence and insurgency through covert acquisition, training, intelligence and counter-intelligence.The book focuses entirely on the IRA's bombing campaign - beginning with the Fenian 'Dynamiters' in the 19th century up to the decommissioning of an arsenal big eugh to arm several battalions - which included an entire home-crafted missile system, an unsurpassed range of improvised explosive devices, and eugh explosives to blow up several urban centres. The author scrutinises the level of improvisation in what became the hallmark of the Provisional IRA in its pioneering IED timing, delay and disguise techlogies. He follows the arms race it carried on with the British Army and security services in a Long War of Mutual Assured Disruption. Oppenheimer fully describes and assesses the impact of the pre-1970s bombing campaigns in Northern Ireland and England to the evolution of strategies and tactics. He also provides an insight into the bombing equipment and guns from the IRA inventory held at Irish Police HQ in Dublin.
- Author BiographyA. R. Oppenheimer is the Editor of NBC (Nuclear Biological Chemical) International magazine and an acknowledged specialist in weapons of mass destruction, explosives and counterterrorism. He has worked as a consultant on nuclear weapons to Jane's Information Group and for defence institutes in the UK and US. He contributes reports and analyses for defence and security journals and speaks regularly at conferences and professional seminars.
- Author(s)A.R. Oppenheimer
- PublisherIrish Academic Press Ltd
- Date of Publication16/10/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCounty Dublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintIrish Academic Press Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight658 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.