Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- DescriptionIBN AL-FARID: WINE & THE MYSTIC'S PROGRESS Translation, Introduction & Notes by Paul Smith Umar Ibn al-Farid, an Egyptian poet (1181-1235), is considered to be the undisputed master of Islamic mystical poetry into Arabic. He is considered t only to be a poet but a Perfect Master (Qutub) a God-realised soul... and it is his journey to unity with God that he reveals in probably the longest qasida (ode) in Arabic (761 couplets), his famous The Mystic's Progress. The other poem for which he is most kwn is his Wine Poem that is often seen as a prologue to the The Mystic's Progress. Although these long poems have been translated into English before this is the first time in the correct rhyme of the qasida and in clear, concise, modern English. Included in the Introduction are chapters on his Life & Work, The Qasida in Arabic, Previous Qasidas by Master Arab Poets that would have influenced him, The Perfect Master (Qutub), and the Wine Poem and The Mystic's Way. Selected Bibliography. The correct rhyme-structure has been kept and the beauty and meaning of these beautiful poems. 174 pages. COMMENTS ON PAUL SMITH'S TRANSLATION OF HAFIZ'S 'DIVAN'. It is t a joke... the English version of ALL the ghazals of Hafiz is a great feat and of paramount importance. I am astonished. If he comes to Iran I will kiss the fingertips that wrote such a masterpiece inspired by the Creator of all. Dr. Mir Mohammad Taghavi (Dr. of Literature) Tehran. Superb translations. 99% Hafiz 1% Paul Smith. Ali Akbar Shapurzman, translator and kwer of Hafiz's Divan off by heart. Smith has probably put together the greatest collection of literary facts and history concerning Hafiz. Daniel Ladinsky (Penguin Books author). Paul Smith is a poet, author and translator of over 80 books of Sufi poets of the Persian, Arabic, Urdu, Turkish, Pashtu and other languages including Hafiz, Sadi, Nizami, Rumi, 'Attar, Sana'i, Jahan Khatun, Obeyd Zakani, Mu'in, Amir Khusrau, Nesimi, Kabir, Anvari, Ansari, Jami, Khayyam, Rudaki, Yunus Emre, Bulleh Shah, Shah Latif, Mahsati and others, and his own poetry, fiction, plays, biographies, children's books and screenplays.
- Author BiographyPaul Smith is a poet, author and translator of over 80 books of Sufi poets of the Persian, Arabic, Urdu, Turkish, Pashtu and other languages including Hafiz, Sadi, Nizami, Rumi, 'Attar, Sana'i, Jahan Khatun, Obeyd Zakani, Mu'in, Amir Khusrau, Nesimi, Kabir, Anvari, Ansari, Jami, Khayyam, Rudaki, Yunus Emre, Bulleh Shah, Shah Latif, Mahsati and others, and his own poetry, fiction, plays, biographies, children's books and screenplays.
- Author(s)Ibn Al-Farid
- Date of Publication22/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight372 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Translated byPaul Smith
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.