All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- Description<b><i>What do we stand to lose in a world without ice?</b></i> A decade ago, velist and short story writer Jean McNeil spent a year as writer-in-residence with the British Antarctic Survey, and four months on the world s most enigmatic continent Antarctica. Access to the Antarctic remains largely reserved for scientists, and it is the only piece of earth that is body s country. <i>Ice Diaries</i> is the story of McNeil s years spent in ice, t only in the Antarctic but her subsequent travels to Greenland, Iceland, and Svalbard, culminating in a strange event in Cape Town, South Africa, where she journeyed to make what was to be her final trip to the southernmost continent. In the spirit of the diaries of Antarctic explorers Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton, McNeil mixes travelogue, popular science, and memoir to examine the history of our fascination with ice. In entering this world, McNeil unexpectedly finds herself confronting her own upbringing in the Maritimes, the lifelong effects of growing up in a cold place, and how the climates of childhood frame our emotional thermodynamics for life. <i>Ice Diaries</i> is a haunting story of the relationship between beauty and terror, loss and abandonment, transformation and triumph.
- Author Biography<b>Jean McNeil</b> is the author of ten books including four novels and a collection of short fiction. Her work has been short-listed for the Governor General s Award for Fiction, the Journey Prize, and she has won the Prism International prize for short fiction and subsequently for narrative non-fiction. She is the co-director of the Masters in Prose Fiction at the University of East Anglia and lives in London, England.
- Author(s)Jean McNeil
- PublisherECW Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2016
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintECW Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight658 g
- Width147 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.