All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIgrance and surprise belong together: surprises can make people aware of their own igrance. And yet, perhaps paradoxically, a surprising event in scientific research -- one that defies prediction or risk assessment -- is often a window to new and unexpected kwledge. In this book, Matthias Gross examines the relationship between igrance and surprise, proposing a conceptual framework for handling the unexpected and offering case studies of ecological design that demonstrate the advantages of allowing for surprises and including igrance in the design and negotiation processes. Gross draws on classical and contemporary sociological accounts of igrance and surprise in science and ecology and integrates these with the idea of experiment in society. He develops a tion of how unexpected occurrences can be incorporated into a model of scientific and techlogical development that includes the experimental handling of surprises. Gross discusses different projects in ecological design, including Chicago's restoration of the shoreline of Lake Michigan and Germany's revitalization of brownfields near Leipzig. These cases show how igrance and surprise can successfully play out in ecological design projects, and how the ackwledgment of the unkwn can become a part of decision making. The appropriation of surprises can lead to robust design strategies. Ecological design, Gross argues, is neither a linear process of master planning r a process of trial and error but a carefully coordinated process of dealing with unexpected turns by means of experimental practice.
- Author BiographyMatthias Gross is Senior Researcher in the Department of Urban and Environmental Sociology at Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research--UFZ.
- Author(s)Matthias Gross
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/06/2010
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleInside Technology
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note11 b&w illus.
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.