All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b> What Ferrante did for female friends exploring the tumult and complexity their relationships could hold Spiegelman sets out to do for mothers and daughters. She s essentially written My Brilliant Mom. <b><i> Slate</i></b> A memoir of mothers and daughters and mothers as daughters traced through four generations, from Paris to New York and back again. </b> For a long time, Nadja Spiegelman believed her mother was a fairy. More than her famous father, <i>Maus</i>creator Art Spiegelman, and even more than most mothers, hers French-born<i>New Yorker</i>art director Francoise Mouly exerted a force over reality that was both dazzling and daunting. As Nadja s body changed and began to whisper to the adults around me in a language I did t understand, their relationship grew tense. Unwittingly, they were replaying a drama from her mother s past, a drama Nadja sensed but had never been told. Then, after college, her mother suddenly opened up to her. Francoise recounted her turbulent adolescence caught between a volatile mother and a playboy father, one of the firstplastic surgeons in France. The weight of the difficult stories she told her daughter shifted the balance between them. It had taken an ocean to allow Francoise the distance to become her own person. At about the same age, Nadja made the journey in reverse, moving to Paris determined to get to kw the woman her mother had fled. Her grandmother s memories contradicted her mother s at nearly every turn, but beneath them lay a difficult history of her own. Nadja emerged with a deeper understanding of how each generation reshapes the past in order to forge ahead, their narratives both weapon and defense, eternally in conflict. Every reader will recognize herself and her family in this gorgeous and heartbreaking memoir, which helps us to see why sometimes those who love us best hurt us most.
- Author Biography<b>Nadja Spiegelman</b> grew up in New York City and now divides her time between Paris and Brooklyn.
- Author(s)Nadja Spiegelman
- PublisherRiverhead Books
- Date of Publication02/08/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRiverhead Books
- Weight499 g
- Width145 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $20.02Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.