Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionImage Bite Politics is the first book to systematically assess the visual presentation of presidential candidates in network news coverage of elections and to connect these visual images with shifts in public opinion. Presenting the results of a comprehensive visual analysis of general election news from 1992-2004, encompassing four presidential campaigns, the authors highlight the remarkably potent influence of television images when it comes to evaluating leaders. The book draws from a variety of disciplines, including political science, behavioral biology, cognitive neuroscience, and media studies, to investigate the visual framing of elections in an incisive, fresh, and interdisciplinary fashion. Moreover, the book presents findings that are counterintuitive and challenge widely held assumptions--yet are supported by systematic data. For example, Republicans receive consistently more favorable visual treatment than Democrats, countering the conventional wisdom of a liberal media bias; and image bites are more prevalent, and in some elections more potent, in shaping voter opinions of candidates than sound bites. Finally, the authors provide a foundation for promoting visual literacy among news audiences and bring the importance of visual analysis to the forefront of research.
- Author BiographyMaria Elizabeth Grabe is Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Telecommunications at Indiana University, Bloomington and a Research Associate of the Department of Political Sciences, University of Pretoria, South Africa. Erik Page Bucy is Associate Professor in the Department of Telecommunications and Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science and School of Informatics at Indiana University, Bloomington.
- Author(s)Erik Page Bucy,Maria Elizabeth Grabe
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication19/03/2009
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note64 halftones, 24 line drawings
- Weight599 g
- Width165 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.