All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith this beautifully illustrated photographic history, the acclaimed author of Civil War Medicine: Challenges and Triumphs has taken his expertise one step further and illuminated this history in images. Images of Civil War Medicine: A Photographic History is an extensive collection of never-before-published photographs taken during the Civil War. It provides a visual encyclopedia of medical facilities, individual surgeons, and other medically related phemena, accompanied by a text describing the main features of Civil War medicine. Although there are many books containing photographs of the Civil War, this is the first to cover medical treatment facilities in this era. A perfect gift for Civil War buffs, historians and medical history enthusiasts, the text of this beautiful picture book also gives a complete overview of the medical experiences of the Civil War. The books extensive collection of individual Civil War Surgeons displaying their uniforms and equipment will be of especial interest to Civil War reenactors, and its depiction of existing pre-war structures converted to hospitals will fascinate those interested in contemporary architecture. A major strength of the book is its large number of Cartes de Visites, or photographs of individual Surgeons, which descendants of Civil War participants often collect. Images of Civil War Medicine: A Photographic History covers all the main features of Civil War Medicine, including:* Confederate aspects of Civil War medicine* Contemporary prominent medical educators* Civil War hospitals and hospital stewards* Field hospitals* Surgery, dentistry and embalming nursingWith hundreds of previously unpublished photographs,Images of Civil War Medicine: A Photographic History is an essential addition to any enthusiasts collection.
- Author BiographyDr Gordon Damman is the founder of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, MD. He is a member of many historical societies and Civil War associations, and has written and lectured extensively on the subject. He is the author of Volumes I, II and III of the Pictorial Encyclopedia of Civil War Medical Instruments and Equipment. He is also on the editorial board of North/South Magazine. ||Dr. Bollet is a member of many prestigious scientific societies and societies devoted to medical history. He has been particularly interested in the comings and goings of diseases and the occurrence of new diseases, and many of his essays on that subject served as the basis of Plagues &Poxes. He has also studied intensively the medical aspects of the Civil War and nineteenth century medicine in general; his critically acclaimed book Civil War Medicine: Challenges and Triumphs was published in 2002.
- Author(s)Alfred Jay Bollet,Gordon Dammann
- PublisherDemos Medical Publishing
- Date of Publication30/10/2007
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDemos Medical Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight513 g
- Width190 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine11 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.