All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionImmigrant Families aims to capture the richness, complexity, and diversity that characterize contemporary immigrant families in the United States. In doing so, it reaffirms that the vast majority of people do t migrate as isolated individuals, but are members of families. There is quintessential immigrant experience, as immigrants and their families arrive with different levels of ecomic, social, and cultural resources, and must navigate various social structures that shape how they fare. Immigrant Families highlights the hierarchies and inequities between and within immigrant families created by key axes of inequality such as legal status, social class, gender, and generation. Drawing on ethgraphic, demographic, and historical scholarship, the authors highlight the transnational context in which many contemporary immigrant families live, exploring how families navigate care, resources, expectations, and aspirations across borders. Ultimately, the book analyzes how dynamics at the individual, family, and community levels shape the life chances and wellbeing of immigrants and their families. As the United States turns its attention to immigration as a critical social issue, Immigrant Families encourages students, scholars, and policy makers to center family in their discussions, thereby prioritizing the human and relational element of human mobility.
- Author BiographyCecilia Menjivar is Foundation Distinguished Professor of Sociology at the University of Kansas. Leisy J. Abrego is Assistant Professor of Chicana/o Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles. Leah C. Schmalzbauer is Associate Professor of American Studies and Sociology at Amherst College.
- Author(s)Cecilia Menjivar,Leisy J. Abrego
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication29/01/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Weight322 g
- Width149 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.