All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
About this product
- DescriptionImmupharmacology: A New Discipline of Immense Potential Among the looming triumphs of the biologic revolution is the rapidly developing understanding of the mechanisms of bodily defense. In the short span of 35 years, kwledge of immulogic machinery has progressed from crudest description to major understanding in cellular and molecular terms. Antibodies, immuglobulins, and the complement system have been almost completely defined in detailed molecular terms. Organs, like thymus, spleen and lymph des-so long enigmatic black boxes-are beginning to be understood t only in cellular terms but in molecular, physiologic, and endocrilogic terms. With this surging new information about the immune system comes the possi- bility of developing a pharmacology which can modulate and control immulogic functions. Immupharmacology most broadly conceived must address (1) control of development and function of the cellular components of the immulogic appara- tus; (2) facilitation and suppression of function of the immulogically competent cells of the several subclasses, like T helpers, suppressors, and effectors, and B effectors and suppressors; (3) manipulation and repair of the major biologic amplifi- cation systems, e. g. , the complement system and kinin-kallikrein system, and (4) utilization, modulation, and inhibition of the galaxy of molecules generated by T lymphocytes, the lymphokines. This new pharmacology must deal with the funda- mental effector mechanisms of immunity, namely inflammation, phagocytosis, vascular reactivity, and blood coagulation. Furthermore, immupharmacology must address and manipulate cell-cell communication and interaction, so vital to control of the immulogical apparatus.
- Author(s)James Cuthbert Hadden
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication30/11/2012
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleComprehensive Immunology
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight957 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJ. W. Hadden
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1977
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.