All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book offers an appraisal of both the panegyric poems of Statius written for Domitian, and of their place in the context of imperial panegyric as a whole. For a variety of reasons, these poems, the Silvae, which are included in Statius' collection of occasional poems, have been largely igred or misread by scholars who fail to see the literary techniques employed by Statius. In an attempt to understand these techniques and to appreciate Statius' handling of them, this study focuses on Silvae 1.1, the opening poem in the collection, commemorating the dedication of an equestrian statue to the emperor.
- Author BiographyThe Author: John W. Geyssen received his Ph.D. from Duke University in 1992. He is currently a lecturer in Classics at the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton.
- Author(s)John W. Geyssen
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Series TitleStudies on Themes and Motifs in Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number24
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight430 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.