Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionSarah Carter's Imperial Plots: Women, Land, and the Spadework of British Colonialism on the Canadian Prairies examines the goals, aspirations, andchallenges met by women who sought land of their own.Supporters of British women homesteaders argued they would contribute to the spade-work of the Empire through their imperial plots, replacing foreign settlers and relieving Britain of its surplus women. Yet far into the twentieth century there was persistent opposition to the idea that women could or should farm: British women were to be exemplars of an idealized white femininity, t toiling in the fields. In Canada, heated debates about women farmers touched on issues of ethnicity, race,gender, class, and nation.Despite legal and cultural obstacles and discrimination, British women did acquire land as homesteaders, farmers, ranchers, and speculators on the Canadian prairies. They participated in the project of dispossessing Indigeus people. Their complicity was, however, ambiguous and restricted because they were excluded from the power and privileges of their male counterparts.Imperial Plots depicts the female farmers and ranchers of the prairies, from the Indigeus women agriculturalists of the Plains, to the land army women of the First World War.
- Author BiographySarah Carter FRSC is Professor and Henry Marshall Tory Chair in the Department of History and Classics and the Faculty of Native Studies at the University of Alberta, Canada.
- Author(s)Sarah Carter
- PublisherUniversity of Manitoba Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2017
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationWinnipeg
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Manitoba Press
- Weight862 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.