All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.78
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionThis book aims at devising a methodological framework to analyse impoliteness in corpora. In doing so, it tackles the issue of the methodology of extracting and analysing impoliteness in general corpora in both British English and Turkish. The focus of the extraction and analysis is on informal conversation as a genre in spoken interaction. The data have been retrieved from two different corpora, the British National Corpus (BNC) XML edition and the Spoken Turkish Corpus (STC) (Ruhi et al., 2010) , which is currently under construction as a project sponsored by TUBYTAK (Scientific and Techlogical Research Council of Turkey) 108K283; and ODTU (Middle East Technical University) BAP-05-03-2011-001. The book lays out a well-defined methodology to the extraction of impoliteness from everyday spoken interaction, which is to minimize the degree of subjectivity in extracting the impoliteness and prevent the epistemological fallacies at the analysis level. The methodological discussion has been developed around the issues related to investigating impoliteness in a corpus driven linguistics approach.In line with this approach to investigating language use, the book illustrates that a corpus approach to impoliteness is exploratory and data-driven.
- Author BiographyHatice Celebi is an assistant professor in the English Language Teaching Department at MEF University in Istanbul.
- Author(s)Hatice Celebi
- PublisherEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication15/11/2014
- Series TitlePragmatic Interfaces
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Content Note17 figures
- Weight548 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.