All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShyness can affect most of us to varying degrees, and tends to affect children more than adults as people tend to grow in confidence as they get older. It is therefore a universal emotion but in some people it is a more prounced personality trait. Severe shyness is referred to as 'social anxiety disorder', however this self-help book is written for the people experiencing different degrees of shyness. Shyness has evolved as an emotion over thousands of years and can be helpful in some circumstances, however rmal shyness can become chronic thanks to negative thoughts, avoidance and withdrawal. While shyness has its functions, it becomes a problem when it interferes with life goals, develops into social anxiety disorder or leads on to 'learned pessimism', mild depression and even 'learned helplessness'. This self-help book, based on the groundbreaking new Compassion Focused Therapy, sets out the background to shyness - its evolutionary functions, why it becomes chronic in some people, and sets out skills and exercises based on CFT to help the reader overcome problematic shyness.
- Author BiographyDr Lynne Henderson is founder of the Social Fitness Center, and founder and Co-Director, with Philip Zimbardo, of the Shyness Institute, both in California, USA. Dr. Henderson has been a visiting scholar in the Psychology Department at Stanford University, California, and is a faculty member in Continuing Studies. She has directed the Shyness Clinic for over 25 years.
- Author(s)Lynne Henderson
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication29/07/2010
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Series TitleCompassion Focused Therapy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobinson Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight412 g
- Width157 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Series Edited byPaul Gilbert
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.