All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionScholars have long recognized that ethgraphic method is bound up with the construction of theory in ways that are difficult to teach. The reason, Allaine Cerwonka and Liisa H. Malkki argue, is that ethgraphic theorization is essentially improvisational in nature, conducted in real time and in necessarily unpredictable social situations. In a unique account of, and critical reflection on, the process of theoretical improvisation in ethgraphic research, the authors demonstrate how both objects of analysis and our ways of kwing and explaining them are created and discovered in the give and take of real life, in all its immediacy. Improvising Theory centers on the year-long correspondence between Cerwonka, then a graduate student in political science conducting research in Australia, and her anthropologist mentor, Malkki. Through regular e-mail exchanges, Malkki attempted to teach Cerwonka, then new to the discipline, the basic tools and subtle intuition needed for anthropological fieldwork. The result is a strikingly original dissection of the processual ethics and politics of method in ethgraphy.
- Author BiographyAllaine Cerwonka is associate professor in and chair of the gender studies department at Central European University, Budapest and author of Native to the Nation: Disciplining Landscapes and Bodies in Australia. Liisa H. Malkki is associate professor of cultural anthropology at Standford University and author of Purity and Exile: Violence, Memory, and National Cosmology among Hutu Refugees in Tanzania, also published by the University of Chicago Press.
- Author(s)Allaine Cerwonka,Liisa H. Malkki
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication10/07/2007
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight302 g
- Width154 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $19.05Trending at AU $23.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.