All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom what the Ancient Greeks might have talked about in bed to women's health and the intricacies of Greek marriage, Paul Chrystal shines a much-needed light on sex and sexuality in ancient Greece, one of the world's most influential civilizations. This is a balanced, comprehensive and researched analysis of the many layers of sex and sexuality in the various Greek societies - from the Mian civilisation, through Athens and the other city states, through Sparta and Hellenistic Greece. Along the way we examine pederasty in Greek society, homosexualty and prostitution. There are also chapters on sexual medicine, attitudes to sexual violence, sex in literature, drama, the visual arts, mythological sex, sex and magic, sex in Greek philosophy and religion, concluding with a chapter on the various women and men who populated the life of Alexander the Great.
- Author BiographyPaul Chrystal was educated at the Universities of Hull and Southampton where he took degrees in Classics and wrote his MPhil thesis on attitudes to women in Roman love poetry. He appears regularly on BBC local radio the World Service. He is the author of over fifty books on a wide range of subjects, including histories of northern places, social histories of tea and of chocolate, a history of confectionery in Yorkshire and various aspects of classical literature and Roman history.
- Author(s)Paul Chrystal
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/05/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note30
- Weight590 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.