All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEdgar-Award winning author Harry MacLean is bringing the New York Times bestseller In Broad Daylight back to print in a keepsake trade paper edition that also includes The Story Behind 'In Broad Daylight.' In Broad Daylight tells the story of the killing of Ken Rex McElroy on the main street of Skidmore, Missouri in July 1981. McElroy, an illiterate hog farmer, had terrorized all of rthwest Missouri for over 20 years, until the town, and even law enforcement, was terrified of him. McElroy was shot as he sat in his truck in front of the tavern. Over 45 men witnessed the shooting. Despite two eyewitness accounts and three grand jury investigations, one has been prosecuted for the crime. In Broad Daylight won an Edgar Award for Best True Crime. It was also made into a movie starring Brian Denehey, Cloris Leachman and Chris Cooper. It was re-released as an e-book on Amazon July 2012 on the 31st anniversary of the killing. St. Martin's Press published the last print edition in 2006. In The Story Behind 'In Broad Daylight, ' MacLean tells how he researched and wrote the book. He tells of guns being drawn on him, being bitten by a dog, and a confrontation with the killer on the killer's ranch. In addition to updates on characters from the book (including who is still alive and who has died), the book answers many questions about the killing itself, such as who was involved, and what has become of them. MacLean describes the breakthrough events when key characters agreed to speak with him, and he realized he would finally get the story. The author also discusses the nature of the moral consequences of the killing for the town and those involved in the crime. The mini-book contains never-before published photographs of some of the principal characters, including the killer. These two books are combined for the first time in this new edition.
- Author BiographyHarry MacLean is a lawyer and writer living in Denver, Colorado. His first book was In Broad Daylight, published by Harper Collins. This book tells the story of the killing of a town bully on the main street of a small town in northwest Missouri. It won an Edgar Award for Best True Crime and was a New York Times Bestseller for 12 weeks. Brian Denehey stars as the bully in the movie version. In Broad Daylight became available as an e-book July 2012. MacLean's second book was Once Upon A Time, a True Story of Memory, Murder and the Law. Also published by Harper Collins, it tells the true story of a man on trial for murder based solely on his daughter's repressed memory of witnessing him murder her playmate 20 years earlier. Once Upon a Time was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year. Basic Books published his third book, The Past Is Never Dead, The Trial of James Ford Seale and Mississippi's Search for Redemption, which was shortlisted for the William Saroyan Award, given by Stanford University. MacLean released his true crime short The Story Behind 'In Broad Daylight, ' in January, 2013. The book includes nine pages of previously unpublished pictures. MacLean's first career was as a lawyer. He graduated from the University of Denver College of Law, magna cum laude, and also received a master's degree in Law and Sociology from DU. He worked as a trial lawyer for the Securities and Exchange Commission and as a magistrate in Denver Juvenile Court. He taught as an Adjunct Professor at DU Law. He served as First Assistant Attorney General for the state of Colorado, and as General Counsel of the Peace Corp during the Carter Administration. For the past twenty years he has worked as a labor arbitrator and book author. His new book, a novel entitled The Joy of Killing, is set for release July 14, 2015. It has been described as a literary thriller, a psychological thriller and a philosophical thriller. It has also been favorably compared to American Psycho. A man seeking clarity in his life, uncovers the possibility of his involvement in gruesome cremes. Connect with him at Facebook.com/HarryNMacLean.
- Author(s)Harry N MacLean
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication14/05/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight606 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.