All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBarcelona, early 1930s: Natalia, a pretty shop-girl from the working-class quarter of Gracia, is hesitant when a stranger asks her to dance at the fiesta in Diamond Square. But Joe is charming and forceful, and she takes his hand. They marry and soon have two children; for Natalia it is an awakening, both good and bad. When Joe decides to breed pigeons, the birds delight his son and daughter - and infuriate his wife. Then the Spanish Civil War erupts, and lays waste to the city and to their simple existence. Natalia remains in Barcelona, struggling to feed her family, while Joe goes to fight the fascists, and one by one his beloved birds fly away. A highly acclaimed classic that has been translated into more twenty-eight languages, In Diamond Square is the moving, vivid and powerful story of a woman caught up in a convulsive period of history.
- Author BiographyMerce Rodoreda is considered the most preeminent Catalan writer. She was born in 1908 in Barcelona. During the Spanish Civil War, she was exiled in France and later Switzerland.
- Author(s)Merce Rodoreda
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleVMC
- Series Part/Volume Number704
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVirago Press Ltd
- Weight155 g
- Width134 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byPeter Bush
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.35
- AU $61.13Trending at AU $61.77
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $17.89Trending at AU $18.33
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.