All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionThis new addition to the popular guidebook series explores women's experiences and the impact of their activities on the history and landscape of St. Louis. When the city was founded, most St. Louisans believed that a woman's place is in the home, in the house of her father, husband, or master. Over the years, women pushed out the boundaries of their lives into the public arena, and in doing so they changed the face of St. Louis. In Her Place is a guide to the changing definition of a woman's place in St. Louis, beginning with the colonial period and ending with the 1960s. Each chapter explores the experiences of women during a specific time period and identifies the sites of some of their public activities on a map of the city created from historical sources. Along the way, readers will meet such significant St. Louis women as Harriet Scott, Susan Blow, Edna Gellhorn, and Philippine Duchesne and learn about the activities of the Ladies' Union Aid Society, the Sisters of Charity, the League of Women Voters, and the Harper Married Ladies' Club. The book also includes four tours of the St. Louis region addressing the themes of the book and identifying significant buildings, homes, and other key sites. Current photographs will help readers locate the sites on detailed maps. An up-to-date bibliography and resource listing make this an invaluable guide for anyone interested in studying the history of women in the region.
- Author BiographyKatharine T. Corbett is former Director of Interpretation at the Missouri Historical Society. She is coauthor of Saint Louis in the Gilded Age.
- Author(s)Katharine T. Corbett
- PublisherMissouri Historical Society Press
- Date of Publication31/12/1999
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleMissouri Historical Society Press
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMissouri Historical Society Press
- Content Noteillustrations, bibliography, index
- Weight1211 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.