All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the relationship between place and behaviour? In this volume, Cresswell examines this question via transgressive acts that are judged as inappropriate t only because they are committed by marginalized groups but also because of where they occur. This text seeks to illustrate the ways in which the idea of geographical deviance is used as an ideological tool to maintain an established order. Cresswell looks at graffiti in New York City, the attempts by various hippie groups to hold a free festival at Stonehenge during the summer solstices of 1984-86, and the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp in Berkshire. In each of the cases described, the groups involved were designated as out of place both by the media and by politicians, whose descriptions included an array of images such as dirt, disease, madness, and foreignness. Cresswell argues that space and place are key factors in the definition of deviance and, conversely, that space and place are used to construct tions of order and propriety. In addition, whereas ideological concepts being expressed about what is good, just, and appropriate often are delineated geographically, the transgression of these delineations reveals the rmally hidden relationships between place and ideology - in other words, the out-of-place serves to highlights and define the in-place . By looking at the transgressions of the marginalized, Crewell argues, we can gain a vel perspective on the rmal and taken-for-granted expectations of everyday life.
- Author BiographyTim Cresswell is a human geographer at the Department of Geography, Royal Holloway, University of London. He is the author of four books on the role of space and mobility in cultural life.
- Author(s)Tim Cresswell
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication05/03/1996
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Out-of-print date13/11/2000
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.