All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- DescriptionWritten by a distinguished group of feminist archaeologists, In Pursuit of Gender examines the role of gender in archaeology, an area that has long been neglected. The chapters in this volume represent sites and cultures that have been interpreted or reinterpreted from the perspective of gender, exploding old assumptions about women and the roles they held. Greatly illuminating the subject of gender from the perspective of their own regional traditions, the authors take the reader through an authoritative and comprehensive discussion of gender archaeology in Asia, Africa, North and South America. Societies represented include hunter-gatherers, early horticulturalists, incipient and well-developed states, historic communities, as well as etharchaeological explorations. The chapters are characterised by a greater specificity in methods, and the emergence of a social archaeology that considers the agency of both men and women. In Pursuit of Gender advances the study of gender in archaeology with detailed data, a world-wide scope and carefully reasoned conclusions that move into new territory, paving the way towards further research in gender-based theory.
- Author BiographySarah Milledge Nelson is John Evans Professor of Archaeology at the University of Denver, where she is faculty in the Anthropology Department and Director of Asian Studies. Some recent books include The Archaeology of Korea (1993), The Archaeology of Northeast China (ed.)(1995), and Gender in Archaeology (1997) which won the Choice Outstanding Academic Book Award. Myriam Rosen-Ayalon is Mayer Professor of Islamic Art and Archaeology at Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication21/12/2001
- Series TitleGender and Archaeology
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Note93 illustrations, bibliography
- Weight690 g
- Width149 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byMyriam Rosen-Ayalon,Sarah Milledge Nelson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.