All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionA self-effacing, humane and unparaid call to change our wealthy yet often barbaric world for the better. * In this provocative cri de coeur, the philosopher John Armstrong rescues the idea of civilization from irrelevance and connects it to our search for individual happiness. Civilization once referred to a society's techlogical prowess, its political development, or its cultural achievement. In the modern era, however, the word became burdened by the legacy of colonialism and contations of elitism. For it to have value once again, according to Armstrong, we must understand that a society balances material prosperity with spiritual prosperity if it is to merit the term civilized and currently we are impoverished. In Search of Civilization is his corrective. As he roams from anecdote to aesthetic appreciation from the banality of an early job at an insurance company to the redemptive wonders of a seventeenth-century church spire visible out an office window, from Adam Smith's philosophy to the Japanese tea ceremony Armstrong reminds us that culture lies within us and that its urishment is essential to a flourishing society.
- Author BiographyJOHN ARMSTRONG is Philosopher-in-Residence at the Melbourne Business School and senior adviser to the vice-chancellor of Melbourne University. He is the author of several internationally acclaimed books on art, aesthetics, and philosophy.
- Author(s)John Armstrong
- PublisherGraywolf Press
- Date of Publication29/03/2011
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGraywolf Press
- Weight367 g
- Width149 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.