All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most gripping images from the 1960s captures the slight figure of Dr. S. I. Hayakawa scrambling onto a sound truck parked in front of San Francisco State College amid campus unrest. Hayakawa had hoped to use this soapbox to address the assembled demonstrators, but instead he ended up ripping out speaker wires and halting an illegal campus demonstration-or denying first-amendment rights to the crowd, depending on your perspective. Indeed, Hayakawa's entire life defies simplistic labels, and his ability to be categorized largely depends on personal perspective. This intimate and detailed biography draws on interviews with friends and family members, as well as Hayakawa's own papers and journals, to bring this controversial and fascinating figure to life. He was an enigma to colleagues as well as adversaries, a Republican senator who consistently bucked his party's ideals with his support of the women's movement, abortion rights, and even Ronald Reagan's search for a female running mate. The son of Japanese immigrants, born and raised in Canada before moving to the United States, Hayakawa emerges here as a complex and complicated figure. His blend of heritage, politics, artistic inclination, and intellectual achievement makes him quintessentially American. Visit the author's Web site for bibliographic tes.
- Author BiographyGerald W. Haslam is a professor emeritus of English at Sonoma State University and the author and editor of numerous books, including Workin' Man Blues: Country Music in California, the novel Straight White Male, and the anthology Many Californias: Literature from the Golden State. Janice E. Haslam is the coauthor, with Gerald W. Haslam, of the fiction collection Manuel and the Madman and An Instructor's Guide to Many Californias.
- Author(s)Gerald W. Haslam,Janice E. Haslam
- PublisherBison Original
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Original
- Content Note30 illustrations
- Weight630 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.