Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionBy adopting ideas like development, members of a Papua New Guinean community find themselves continuously negotiating what can be expected of a relative or a community member. Nearly half the people born on the remote Mbuke Islands become teachers, businessmen, or bureaucrats in urban centers, while those who stay at home ask migrant relatives What about me? This detailed ethgraphy sheds light on remittance motivations and documents how terms like community can be useful in places otherwise permeated by kinship. As the state withdraws, Mbuke people explore what social ends might be reached through involvement with the cash ecomy.
- Author BiographyAnders Emil Rasmussen teaches Anthropology at Aarhus University. His publications include Materialities of Passing (co-ed., Ashgate, in preparation).
- Author(s)Anders Emil Rasmussen
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePacific Perspectives: Studies of the European Society for Oceanists
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note3 illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.