All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionWell, Thudicumb, I hope by on we may at last get a glimpse of the sun, said Captain Davenport to his first officer, as they walked the deck of the Bussorah Merchant, homeward bound from the East Indies, and at that time rolling on over the long heaving seas of the Atlantic. The sky was overcast, but ever and an a gleam of light burst forth amid the clouds, playing on the foaming crest of a wave. It was blowing hard, but had evidently been blowing much harder, of which fact the condition of the Indiaman gave evidence. A portion of the starboard bulwarks were stove in, one of her quarter boats was shattered, and other slight damages were visible. We must be ready for him, sir, at all events, said the first officer, looking at his watch. It is t far off on w. Tell Oliver to bring me my sextant, said the captain, as the mate descended from the poop into his cabin. Mr Thudicumb soon returned, bringing his own instrument, and followed by a boy with the captain's. Continuing their walk, they looked anxiously every w and then at the spot in the heavens where they expected the sun to appear. They were accompanied by one who seemed to take as much interest as they did in what was going forward. When they turned, he turned; when they looked up at the sky, he looked up also; balancing himself when the ship rolled as they did, by leaning over to the opposite direction to which she was heeling. He, however, could t have afforded them any assistance in their observation, for though his eye and the expression of his countenance exhibited much sagacity, he was of the canine species-a large dog-a magnificent-looking fellow, who could, the crew declared, for he was a great favourite with them, do everything but talk-and, they might have added, take a meridional observation, or a lunar. Mr Thudicumb again looked at his watch. There he is, sir, he exclaimed at length. He and the captain stopped in their walk; their sextants were quickly at their eyes; and there they stood, their feet planted firmly on the heaving deck, in an attitude long practice alone could have enabled them to maintain. A clear space was seen in the sky, increasing rapidly, and yet t altogether blue, but the vapour which drove across it was t sufficiently thick to prevent the sun's rays descending upon the sea.
- Author(s)William Henry Giles Kingston
- Date of Publication02/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.