All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1915 Goverr James Ferguson began his term in Texas bolstered by a wave of voter enthusiasm and legislative cooperation so great that few Texans anticipated anything short of a successful administration. His campaign was based on two key elements: his appeal to the rural constituency and a temporary hiatus from the effects of the continuous Prohibition debate. In reality, Jim Ferguson had shrewdly sold a well-crafted image of himself to Texas voters, carrying into office a bevy of closely guarded secrets about his personal finances, his business acumen, and his relationship with Texas brewers. Those secrets, once unraveled, ultimately led to charges brought against Goverr Ferguson via impeachment.<br><br>Refusing to ackwledge the judgment against him, Ferguson launched a crusade for regained power and vindication. In 1925 he reclaimed a level of political influence and doubled the Ferguson presence in Austin when he assisted his wife, Miriam, in a successful bid for the goverrship. That bid had been based largely on a plea for exoneration but soon degenerated into a scandal-plagued administration.<br><br><em>In the Goverr's Shadow</em> unravels this complex tale, exposing the shocking depth of the Fergusons' misconduct. Often using the Fergusons' own words, Carol O'Keefe Wilson weaves together the incontestable evidence that most of the claims that Jim Ferguson made during his life regarding his conduct, intentions, achievements, and abilities, were patently false.
- Author Biography<strong>Carol O'Keefe Wilson</strong> is a 1987 graduate of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton, USA, a Texas CPA, and a retired Certified Fraud Examiner.
- Author(s)Carol O'Keefe Wilson
- PublisherUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationDenton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.