All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionThis personal narrative about life in a remote desert region of Western India tells of how love of place and love of person find their equilibrium in a world far removed from modernity. Yet this small, distant land of kingship and pastoral life is rapidly being eroded by the new India of commerce and industrialization. The author describes in terms how an ancient society is transformed by the culture of consumption where the lyrical beauty of balance, exchange and loyalty are translated into a single market ecomy. The people and places of post-Partition Kacch, where even the land and value systems of a lately independent India w appear in a stalgic light, are described in detail. This is a record of private emotion and physical terrain, of traditions and of profound social practice, and is in a sense one more depiction of what is rapidly becoming ather 'tristes tropiques'.
- Author BiographyKevin McGrath is an associate of the Department of South Asian Studies and poet in residence at Lowell House, Harvard Universty. McGrath lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Kevin McGrath
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/12/2014
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.