All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.76
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $31.90
- AU $10.43Trending at AU $11.81
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $86.08
- AU $23.95Trending at AU $28.81
- AU $22.67Trending at AU $25.33
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $31.95
About this product
- DescriptionSouth America's story is as varied as its geography of soaring mountains, scorching deserts, and lush rainforests. In Ecuador alone, there are 25,000 kinds of plants, 1,500 species of birds, 4,500 different butterflies, and 300 mammals! Gena K. Gorrell's brilliant text combines an often tragic history with the problems and triumphs of the present. The information she offers ranges from the Requirement (a document read out by the conquistadors each time they came upon a new group of indigeus people to justify their actions) to drug cartels, from the hidden and secretive Elders (a civilization that retreated to the mountains to preserve its customs and w considers itself the guardian of the world ) to Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Replete with Andrej Krystoforski's vibrant illustrations, maps, an index, and bibliography, In the Land of the Jaguar: South America and Its People is a fascinating, colorful journey of exploration and discovery.
- Author BiographyGena K. Gorrell is a book editor and an award-winning writer of nonfiction for young people. Her third book, Heart and Soul: The Story of Florence Nightingale, won the Norma Fleck Award for Nonfiction. In her spare time she is a first-aid instructor and a volunteer officer in the Toronto Police Marine Unit. She lives in Toronto with her husband and her dog. Andrej Krystoforski was born in Poland during World War II. After earning a master's degree from the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, he began working as an illustrator and designer. Several years after receiving an art scholarship from the Kosciusko Foundation in New York, he emigrated to the United States. Andrej won many national and international awards before moving to Canada, where his interest in animation led to his involvement in the creation of many television shows and features including Pippi Longstocking, Heidi, Seven Little Monsters, Little Bear, Bob and Margaret, and Max and Ruby. Today, Andrej Krystoforski lives in Canada, creating children's and young adult book illustrations.
- Author(s)Gena Kinton Gorrell
- PublisherTundra Books
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- First Published2011
- ImprintTundra Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width213 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Illustrator(s)Andrej Krystoforski
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.