All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.20Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionFive hundred years ago, the army of conquest led by Hernan Cortes marched hundreds of miles across a rugged swath of land from Veracruz on the Mexican Caribbean to the capital city of the Aztecs, w Mexico City. This journey was the catalyst for profound cultural and political change in Mesoamerica. Today, many Mexicans view the Ruta de Cortes as a symbol of an event that forever changed the course of their history. But few U.S. Americans understand how the conquest still affects Mexicans national identity and their relationship with the United States. Following the route of Hernan Cortes, In the Shadow of Cortes offers a visual and cultural history of the legacy of contact between Spaniards and indigeus civilizations. The book is a reflective journey that presents a diversity of voices, images, and ideas about history and conquest. Specialist in Mexican culture Kathleen Ann Myers teams up with prize-winning translators and photographers to offer a unique reading experience that combines accessible interpretative essays with beautifully translated interviews and dozens of historical and contemporary black-and-white and color images, including some by award-winner Steven Raymer. The result offers readers multiple perspectives on these pivotal events as imagined and re-envisioned today by Mexicans both in their homeland and in the United States. In the Shadow of Cortes offers an extensive visual narrative about conquest and, ultimately, about Mexican history. It traces the symbolic geography of the conquest and shows how the historical memory of colonialism continues to shape lives today.
- Author BiographyKathleen Ann Myers is a professor of Spanish and Portuguese at Indiana University, USA. She is the author of five books, including Fernandez de Oviedo's Chronicle of America: A New History for a New World.
- Author(s)Kathleen Ann Myers
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Note88 halftones, 21 colour plates (spread over two 8-page inserts)
- Weight525 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.