All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIN THE SHADOW OF ISLAM is an extraordinary evocation of the desert and its people by a woman who dressed as a man in order to travel alone and unimpeded throughout North Africa. In 1897 Isabelle Eberhardt, aged 20, left an unconventional life in Geneva for Kenadsa, at the Morroccan frontier. Gripped by spiritual restlessness and the desire to break free from the confinements of her society and its perceived patriarchy, she travelled into the desert, and into the heart of Islam. Her experiences inspired a profound self-examination and, as a record of Eberhardt's inner and outer journeys, IN THE SHADOW OF ISLAM is today regarded as one of the true classics of travel writing.
- Author BiographyISABELLE EBERHARDT was born in Geneva in 1877, the illegitimate daughter of a Russian Orthodox priest and part-Russian, part-German aristocrat. She spent much of her short adult life in north Africa where she converted to Islam. She was killed in a flash flood at the age of 27.
- Author(s)Isabelle Eberhardt
- PublisherPeter Owen Publishers
- Date of Publication01/03/2003
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitlePeter Owen Modern Classic
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPeter Owen Publishers
- Weight136 g
- Width123 mm
- Height186 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.16
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.53
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.50
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.