All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Like Joan Didion's <i>The Year of Magical Thinking</i>, an extraordinarily moving and engaging look at loss and death.</b> Eve Joseph is an award-winning poet who worked for twenty years as a palliative care counselor in a hospice. When she was a young girl, she lost a much older brother, and her experience as a grown woman helping others face death, dying, and grief opens the path for her to recollect and understand his loss in a way she could t as a child. <i>In the Slender Margin</i> is an insider's look at an experience that awaits us all, and that is at once deeply fascinating, frightening, and in modern society shunned. The book is an intimate invitation to consider death and our response to it without fear or morbidity, but rather with wonder and a curious mind. Writing with a poet's precise language and in short meditative chapters leavened with insight, warmth, and occasional humor, Joseph cites her hospice experience as well as the writings of others across generationsfrom the realms of mythology, psychology, science, religion, history, and literatureto illuminate the many facets of dying and death. Offering examples from cultural traditions, practices, and beliefs from around the world, her book is at once an exploration of the unkwable and a very humane journey through the land of grief.
- Author BiographyEve Joseph was born in 1953 and grew up in Vancouver. She worked on a freighter as a young woman and traveled widely. She is the author of two earlier books, <i>The Startled Heart</i> and <i>The Secret Signature of Things</i>, has won awards for her poetry, and has published essays and poems in anthologies, chapbooks, journals, and magazines, including <i>Twelve Breaths a Minute</i> and <i>You Can't Make This Stuff Up</i>, edited by Lee Gutkind; <i>The Malahat Review</i>, and <i>The American Journal of Poetry</i>. Eve Joseph resides in Victoria on Vancouver Island, Canada.
- Author(s)Eve Joseph
- PublisherArcade Publishing
- Date of Publication05/01/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArcade Publishing
- Weight363 g
- Width142 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.06Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $19.05Trending at AU $23.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.