All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.69
- AU $46.31Trending at AU $47.88
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.60
About this product
- DescriptionIncidents in an Educational Life is the educational memoir of John M. Swales, one of the world's leading scholars in the subfield of Applied Linguistics kwn as English for Specific Purposes. Swales has worked all over the world, taking teaching positions in Italy, Sweden, Libya, Sudan, the United Kingdom, and eventually at the University of Michigan. By the end of this year, Swales will have given about 70 keyte speeches in 30 countries. He has written and co-written 17 books, but this is the first with an autobiographical flavor. He is the author of the best-selling Academic Writing for Graduate Students and Genre Analysis . In Incidents , Swales recounts his educational history, and while he includes plenty of strong personal detail, it is the lessons he has learned both by being taught and by teaching that dominate every page. The story begins in England during World War II. The book traces his gradual transformation from student to English as a Second Language teacher, to one of the leading international figures in his field, stopping along the way to tell the sometimes amusing, sometimes painful anecdotes that made him the recognized scholar he is today. Swales' prose is clean, clear, readable, and entertaining. This volume will be both a pleasant and educational read for anyone considering Swales, his field, or the many forms of teaching that we all undertake.
- Author BiographyJohn M. Swales is one of the leading international scholars in the field of English for Specific Purposes. He retired in the summer of 2006 from the University of Michigan after teaching at several universities overseas. He is the author of five University of Michigan Press titles, including The Birds of Washtenaw County, Michigan.
- Author(s)John M. Swales
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.