All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
About this product
- DescriptionThese two slave narratives expand our kwledge of the differing ways males and females coped with enslavement and later ordeals in flight. This popularly-priced anthology contains the often taught Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs and the recently discovered A True Tale of Slavery by John S. Jacobs, her younger brother, w reprinted for the first time. After Harriet's owner, a physician, repeatedly abused her, she escaped his sexual advances for a time by entering into a relationship with a local attorney. Her owner continued to harass her, and she sought refuge in a crawlspace where she lived in hiding. After her escape to the North, she published her narrative. John S. Jacobs walked away as he put it, from his owner, a congressman. He sailed on a whaling ship and educated himself. He then became a paid agent of the Anti-Slavery Society, made a lecturing trip with Frederick Douglass, and finally settled in London, where he remained until it was safe for a fugitive to return to the North. He wrote his story for a London Sunday school journal where it was published in 1861.
- Author BiographyGeorge Hendrick is professor Emeritus of English at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Canada Ltd
- Date of Publication12/10/2006
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNaugatuck
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBrandy Wine Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width158 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byGeorge Hendrick,Willene Hendrick
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.