Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionHas anyone ever pushed in front of you in a queue? Stolen your parking space? Talked on their mobile phone during a film at the cinema? In our everyday lives we all encounter rude and inconsiderate people. This unique book provides the first ever systematic investigation of typical encounters with rudeness. Through a meticulous analysis of over 500 events, it maps out what people experience as rude, where and when this happens and what takes place in the exchange between the participants. The inquiry further charts the emotional and social consequences of rudeness and victimization, with the results challenging the widespread assumption that bad behaviour is toxic to community life. In conclusion the study draws upon its findings and surveys a range of strategies for reducing the level of incivility in everyday life, identifying some simple and invative solutions. Incivility will appeal to crimilogists, sociologists and scholars of urban studies.
- Author BiographyPhilip Smith is Associate Professor in the Department of Sociology, and Deputy Director of the Yale Center for Cultural Sociology at Yale University, Connecticut. Timothy L. Phillips is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology at the University of Tasmania. Ryan D. King is Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology at the State University of New York, Albany.
- Author(s)Philip Smith,Ryan D. King,Timothy L. Phillips
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/08/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note16 b/w illus. 38 tables
- Weight480 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.