All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $43.99Free postage
- AU $55.50Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionIndia: The Ancient Past provides a clear and systematic introduction to the cultural, political, ecomic, social and geographical history of ancient India from the time of the pre-Harappan culture nine thousand years ago up until the beginning of the second millennium of the Common Era. The book engages with methodological and controversial issues by examining key themes such as the Indus-Sarasvati civilization, the Aryan controversy, the development of Vedic and heterodox religions, and the political ecomy and social life of ancient Indian kingdoms. This fully revised and updated second edition includes: * Three new chapters examining the differences and commonalities between the rth and south of India; * Extended discussion on contested issues, such as the origins of the Aryans and the role of feudalism in ancient India; * New source excerpts to introduce students to the most significant works in the historiography of India, and questions for discussion; * Study guides, including a list of key issues, suggested readings and a selection of internet sources for each chapter; * Specially designed maps to illustrate different time periods and geographical regions This richly illustrated guide provides a fascinating account of the early development of Indian culture and civilization that will appeal to all students of Indian history.
- Author BiographyBurjor Avari MBE is Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of History at the Manchester Metropolitan University. He has taught history at school and university levels for over five decades. His previous publications include Islamic Civilization in South Asia: A History of Muslim Power and Presence in the Indian Subcontinent (Routledge, 2013).
- Author(s)Burjor Avari
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note19 black & white halftones, 18 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $96.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.