Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionIndiana: An Interpretation is arguably the best single book about Indiana. Originally published in 1947, John Bartlow Martin's work sparked controversy in Indiana for challenging Hoosiers' assumptions about their history and how they saw themselves and their state. Although the book only covers the period from the Civil War to just after World War II, Martin's interpretation of the Hoosier character, thought, and way of living is still as relevant today as when it was first written. A new afterword by Martin biographer Ray E. Boomhower contextualizes the book for today's readers and reveals why it has become a modern Indiana classic.
- Author BiographyJohn Bartlow Martin (1915-1988) was a journalist and freelance writer who grew up in Indianapolis and graduated from DePauw University. He worked for the Associated Press, was a reporter for the Indianapolis Times, and was the author of numerous articles, stories, and books. James H. Madison is the Thomas and Kathryn Miller Professor of History Emeritus, Indiana University Bloomington. His books include Hoosiers: A New History (IUP, 2014); Eli Lilly: A Life, 1885-1977; Slinging Doughnuts for the Boys: An American Woman in World War II (IUP, 2007); and A Lynching in the Heartland: Race and Memory in America. Madison serves on the boards of Indiana Humanities and the Indiana Historical Society and is a member of the Indiana Bicentennial Commission. Ray E. Boomhower is author of John Bartlow Martin: A Voice for the Underdog (IUP, 2015); The People's Choice: Congressman Jim Jontz of Indiana; and Robert F. Kennedy and the 1968 Indiana Primary (IUP, 2008). He is Senior Editor of Traces of Indiana and Midwestern History, the quarterly magazine of the Indiana Historical Society.
- Author(s)John Bartlow Martin
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication04/07/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight372 g
- Width3556 mm
- Height5334 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Foreword byJames H. Madison
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.