All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFree-living birds encounter multiple health hazards brought on by viruses, bacteria, and fungi, some which in turn can significantly impact other animal populations and human health. Newly emerging diseases and new zootic forms of older diseases have brought increased global attention to the health of wild bird populations. Recognition and management of these diseases is a high priority for all those involved with wildlife. Infectious Diseases of Wild Birds provides biologists, wildlife managers, wildlife and veterinary health professionals and students with the most comprehensive reference on infectious viral, bacterial and fungal diseases affecting wild birds. Bringing together contributions from an international team of experts, the book offers the most complete information on these diseases, their history, causative agents, significance and population impact. Focusing on more than just treatment, special emphasis is given to disease processes, recognition and epidemiology.
- Author BiographyNancy J. Thomas, DVM, MS, Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists, is an endangered species specialist for the U.S. Geological Survey, National Wildlife Health Center. She has more than 20 years of experience in diagnostic pathology and research on wild bird diseases. D. Bruce Hunter, DVM, MSc, is a professor in the Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. His specialty encompasses avian, fur-bearing, and wildlife pathology and ecosystem health. His research interests have included infectious diseases commercial poultry, West Nile Virus in owls, and diseases of mink. Carter T. Atkinson, Ph.D. is a research microbiologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, Pacific Island Ecosystems Research Center. His research focuses on protozoan parasites of vertebrates, particularly birds, with a recent emphasis on the effects of introduced avian malaria on Hawaiian forest birds.
- PublisherIowa State University Press
- Date of Publication03/04/2007
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationArnes, AI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIowa State University Press
- Content Note120 illustrations
- Weight1298 g
- Width182 mm
- Height263 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byCarter T. Atkinson,D. Bruce Hunter,Nancy J. Thomas
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $37.95
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.88
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.