All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow do The Matrix , Avatar , and Tron reveal the future of existence? Can our brains recognize where reality ends and virtual begins? What would it mean to live eternally in a digital universe? Where will techlogy lead us in five, fifty, and five hundred years? Welcome to the future...The coming explosion of immersive digital techlogy, combined with recent progress in unlocking how the mind works, will soon revolutionize our lives in ways only science fiction has imagined. In Infinite Reality , Jeremy Bailenson (Stanford University) and Jim Blascovich (University of California, Santa Barbara) - two of virtual reality's pioneering authorities, whose pathbreaking research has mapped how our brain behaves in digital worlds-take us on a mind-bending journey through the virtual universe. Infinite Reality explores what emerging computer techlogies and their radical applications will mean for the future of human life and society. Along the way, Bailenson and Blascovich examine the timeless philosophical questions of the self and reality that arise through the digital experience; explain how virtual reality's latest and future forms - including immersive video games and social-networking sites-will soon be seamlessly integrated into our lives; show the many surprising practical applications of virtual reality, from education and medicine to sex and warfare; and, probe further-off possibilities like total personality downloads that would allow your great-great-grandchildren to have a conversation with you a century or more after your death. Equally fascinating, farsighted, and profound, Infinite Reality is an essential guide to our virtual future, where the experience of being human will be deeply transformed.
- Author BiographyJim Blascovich is the director and co-founder of the Research Center for Virtual Environments at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he is Distinguished Professor of Psychology. Professor Blascovich has served as the president of international scientific societies, including the Society for Personality and Social Psychology and the Society for Experimental Social Psychology, and he has been invited to lecture on social neuroscience and virtual reality topics worldwide. Jeremy Bailenson is the founding director of Stanford University's Virtual Human Interaction Lab. Professor Bailenson has been featured on Frontline, All Things Considered, and Today, and in Time, Discover, The Chronicle of Higher Education, and the Science, Health, World, and Style sections of the New York Times, as well as in the New York Times Magazine.
- Author(s)Jeremy Bailenson,Jim Blascovich
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication05/03/2012
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam Morrow Paperbacks
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.