All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis interdisciplinary study of infinity explores the concept through the prism of mathematics and then offers more expansive investigations in areas beyond mathematical boundaries to reflect the broader, deeper implications of infinity for human intellectual thought. More than a dozen world-rewned researchers in the fields of mathematics, physics, cosmology, philosophy and theology offer a rich intellectual exchange among various current viewpoints, rather than displaying a static picture of accepted views on infinity. The book starts with a historical examination of the transformation of infinity from a philosophical and theological study to one dominated by mathematics. It then offers technical discussions on the understanding of mathematical infinity. Following this, the book considers the perspectives of physics and cosmology: can infinity be found in the real universe? Finally, the book returns to questions of philosophical and theological aspects of infinity.
- Author BiographyRevd Dr Michael Heller is the Founder and Director of the Copernicus Center for Interdisciplinary Studies, Cracow. He is a Professor of Philosophy at the Pontifical University of John Paul II, Cracow, Poland; an Adjunct Member of the Vatican Observatory; and Ordinary Member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. Heller is the author of more than thirty books and nearly two hundred scientific papers. Dr W. Hugh Woodin is a Professor of Mathematics and the Chair of the Mathematics Department at the University of California, Berkeley. Professor Woodin has published numerous articles and books and is the managing editor of the Journal of Mathematical Logic and editor of Mathematical Research Letters, Mathematical Logic Quarterly and Electronic Research Announcements (American Mathematical Society).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/08/2013
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note11 b/w illus. 2 tables
- Weight570 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byMichael Heller,W. Hugh Woodin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.