Inheritance: How Our Genes Change Our Lives - And Our Lives Change Our Genes by Sharon Moalem MD Phd (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.63Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $32.43Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionAward-winning physician and New York Times bestselling author Sharon Moalem, MD, PhD, reveals how genetic breakthroughs are completely transforming our understanding of both the world and our lives. INHERITANCE Conventional wisdom dictates that our genetic destiny is fixed at conception. But Dr. Moalem's groundbreaking book shows us that the human geme is far more fluid and fascinating than your ninth grade biology teacher ever imagined. By bringing us to the bedside of his unique and complex patients, he masterfully demonstrates what rare genetic conditions can teach us all about our own health and well-being. In the brave new world we're rapidly rocketing into, genetic kwledge has become absolutely crucial. INHERITANCE provides an indispensable roadmap for this journey by teaching you: -Why you may have recovered from the psychological trauma caused by childhood bullying-but your genes may remain scarred for life. -How fructose is the sugar that makes fruits sweet-but if you have certain genes, consuming it can buy you a one-way trip to the coroner's office. -Why ingesting common painkillers is like dosing yourself repeatedly with morphine-if you have a certain set of genes. -How insurance companies legally use your genetic data to predict the risk of disability for you and your children-and how that impacts the coverage decisions they make for your family. -How to have the single most important conversation with your doctor-one that can save your life. And finally: -Why people with rare genetic conditions hold the keys to medical problems affecting millions. In this trailblazing book, Dr. Moalem employs his wide-ranging and entertaining interdisciplinary approach to science and medicine-- explaining how art, history, superheroes, sex workers, and sports stars all help us understand the impact of our lives on our genes, and our genes on our lives. INHERITANCE will profoundly alter how you view your genes, your health--and your life.
- Author BiographySharon Moalem, MD, PhD, is an award-winning scientist, physician, and New York Times bestselling author of the books Survival of the Sickest and How Sex Works. His research and writing blends medicine, genetics, history and biology, to explain how the human body works in new and fascinating ways. His internationally bestselling books have been translated into more than 30 languages. Dr. Moalem's scientific work led to the discovery of Sideromycin, a novel antibiotic compound effective against multidrug resistant or 'superbug' microorganisms. He has also been awarded 19 patents for inventions related to biotechnology and human health, and cofounded two biotechnology companies, and served as an associate editor for the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. Dr. Moalem and his research have been featured in The New York Times, TIME, New Scientist, and on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Today, and CNN.
- Author(s)Sharon Moalem MD Phd
- PublisherGrand Central Publishing
- Date of Publication15/04/2014
- SubjectPopular Science
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrand Central Publishing
- Weight454 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.