All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionAccording to Vygotsky (1986), The decreasing vocalization of egocentric speech detes a developing abstraction from sound, the child's new faculty to think words instead of prouncing them. This is the positive meaning of the sinking coefficient of egocentric speech. The downward curve indicates development toward inner speech, (p. 230) The purpose of this volume is to explore the faculty to think words, t as the ability to mentally evoke words in the native (or first) language (LI) but as the faculty 1 to conjure up in the mind words in a second language (L2). To think words rather than to prounce them is possible through inner speech, a function that humans develop in the course of childhood as they internalize the speech of the social group among which they grow. This means internalizing and being able to conduct inner speech in a particular linguistic code, the LI. But humans, at a very early or more mature age, may also come into contact and interact verbally with speakers of other languages, in classrooms or natural settings. The possibility thus emerges of internalizing an L2 in such a way that inner speech in the L2 might evolve. In this book, it is argued that, given certain conditions of L2 learning, it is possible for learners to attain inner speech in the L2. This book examines the distinctive nature of L2 inner speech and the processes that engender it and characterize its development.
- Author BiographyMaria C. M. de Guerrero has vast experience as a professional in the field of second language teaching and learning. She has taught EFL/ESL for over thirty years in Argentina and Puerto Rico and offers courses in psycholinguistics and research methods at the graduate level. She works at the English Department of Inter American University of Puerto Rico, Metropolitan Campus. She has published articles in The Modern Language Journal, Applied Linguistics, Language Teaching Research, TESOL Quarterly, Issues in Applied Linguistics, the International Journal of Applied Linguistics, the Journal of Second Language Writing, Foreign Language Annals, and in the edited volumes Vygotskyan Approaches to Second Language Research (Ablex) and Applied Linguistics and Language Teacher Education (Springer).
- Author(s)Maria C.M. de Guerrero
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication20/04/2005
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleEducational Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 6
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note11 black & white illustrations, 7 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1260 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.