All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMaria Sibylla Merian (1647-1717) was an intrepid artist and scientist who defied the conventions of her time to pursue her passion for documenting the natural world in all its glorious, and sometimes ferocious, detail.Between 1699-1701, she travelled to the Dutch colony of Suriname in South America to study the area's unique flora and fauna. Many of the drawings and painting she produced on this trip were published as hand-coloured counter proofs in her Metamorphosis of the Insects of Suriname (1705). Insects and Flowers is a delightfully illustrated volume that reproduces vivid colour details of sixteen plates from that volume, as well as presenting an insect and plant identification guide, and an engaging essay on Merian's life and work.
- Author BiographyDavid Brafman is curator of rare books at the Getty Research Institute. Stephanie Schrader is assistant curator of drawings at the J. Paul Getty Museum.
- Author(s)David Brafman,Stephanie Schrader
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication21/08/2008
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJ. Paul Getty Museum
- Content Note22 full-colour illustrations
- Weight91 g
- Width114 mm
- Height159 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.